Residential Permits

When Do I Need a Permit?

For 1,2 & 3 family dwellings and individual condominium units permits are required for the following work:

  • New Dwellings
  • Building Additions
  • Patio Enclosures*
  • Interior Remodeling*
  • Reroofing*
  • Fences*
  • Covered Porches*
  • Basement Finish*
  • Central Air Cond. or Heat Pump* (New or Replacement)
  • Accessory Structures*(sheds, utility bldgs., gazebos, pergolas, etc.)
  • Swimming Pools, Hot tubs and Spas*
  • Window Replacement* (Only if the opening is enlarged)
  • HVAC (New Residences)
  • Furnace Replacement*
  • Gas Piping Installations*
  • Structural Repairs*
  • Decks*
  • Water Heater Replacement
  • Fireplaces and Woodstoves*

* These improvements require a permit; however, there is no fee provided a permit is obtained before starting work. If work is started without a permit, a penalty fee will be assessed.

The above list is not all inclusive. When you question if a permit is needed, your best bet is to call the Springdale Building Department at 513-346-5730.

Building Department Fee Schedule

Separate plumbing permits are required for new and extended water supply, waste and vent piping and replacement water heaters. Plumbing permits are issued by the Hamilton County General Health District, Plumbing Department 513-946-7800.